Saturday, September 20, 2008

Vandalism With a Point, and the Fascination with Anti-Heros.

I was waiting for the subway in one station when I saw something that caught my eye.

If you ride the subway (and chances are good you do if you live in New York City and especially if you commute to Manhattan often), you know that vandalism in the subway stations is really common, and it is especially true when it comes to the sticky announcements. Faces with painted mustaches, with bubblegum on it or with written things are among the things you see in the subways.

So, this is what caught my eye: I have no cable TV but I know Showtime has all these popular shows, which are all lumped together in the same announcement. So you see the pictures of the protagonists of Californication, Weeds, The Tudors, State of the Union, Diary of a Call Girl and Dexter. In each of these, the vandalist wrote the moral flaws of these characters with the words "Hero?" under them. I don't remember what did he put in State of the Union, but I can tell you about the other five:
Californication: "Sex addict. Hero?"
Weeds: "Drug Dealer. Hero?
The Tudors: "Poligamist. Hero?"
Diary of a Call Girl: "Prostitute. Hero?"
Dexter: "Murderer. Hero?"

Well, Showtime seems to have a knack for anti-heros these days. Or maybe they are reflecting 21st century obsession with anti-heros? Are we recognizing we are humans or are we, as a generation tired of heroes who save the days in traditional ways, but we just don't want someone we identify with?

No comments: