Monday, August 4, 2008

Jersey and the Accents.

Last Friday was the day to visit Suburbia again... I went to Newport, New Jersey and found The Kid there. The going to Newport gave me some surprises...
  1. The mall is great! and some necessary things will be bought there, I think, like makeup.
  2. The Jackson Heights of Newport (I wish I knew its name). And they had a great authentic quality of Indian food as well. I forget the restaurant where we eat, but boy, the best dosas I had in a while are there.
The Kid also became romantic with me again. Especially during our return from New Jersey to New York. I like the physicality of it all (No, no sex, but the mere hugs, kisses, holding hands) and strangely enough, I feel a mixture of flattery and suffocation when he shows jealousy when I talk to or about other guys.

Ironically enough, there was a Latin party in the Guggenheim, but it became late in New Jersey to go there at all. I was tired

So, what else.

On Saturday, I went to the Gita studies... And it seems Satvic and I always find each other in the same train. When we returned, we talked about many things, like his observation that, while the Mandir can be a place for spiritual pursuits, it can also serve as a network. Satvic and I talked so much in the train returning to Queens that I missed my stop, but it mattered little. Then, Satvic and I started talking about accents. I was making the observation that, like me, Satvic came to the United States when he was 19 years old (and I don't know his age, but I assume he is either my age or no more than two years younger). My accent is this exotic mixture from nowhere, product of refusing both the horrible South Carolinean accent and having a majority of friends from everywhere but South Carolina back in college (and that includes American friends, most of whom were from different states, or second generation foreigners). Satvic, instead, speaks like a perfect New Yorker, and I told him that "But of course" he replied, "I am a New Yorker." Then came the compliment that made my day... I always speak with a smile in my face! I was not that aware of it, you know.

Don't worry, I won't get cocky about it.

No comments: