Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Entry Where I Talk About Networking...

Everybody knows New York is expensive... But that does not mean one has to do things, like staying prisoner in your house.

And with the crowds of New York, it can get lonely...

But it does not have to be this way. One simply has to go carefully, risk some, and network some.

So, for one, I use Meetup and know some people through it. Orkut and Facebook help a lot, but Meetup allows you to meet people in addition to know any good activities and groups.

Another weapon is going to networking events. G. was in an organization that was hosting an event at the Sundaran Tagore Gallery in Chelsea (by the way, I should go to Chelsea more often to see the galleries. It is like entering to mini museums of Modern art. And for free!) I met quite a few souls there.

Also, I went to two parties this weekend: Eric Vega's birthday in Webster Hall (located in the Lower East Side) and an Indian-themed party in Tonic (which is in Times Square!). And I have met some people there.

The retreat I had in May was another good way to meet people.

Also, I have a book called NYC Free and Dirt Cheap as a guide.

So, see, New York can be fun for people under a budget too. It is all a matter of knowing how to manage.

No comments: