Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Why's Rules, and Procedures of This Blog.

There are reasons why am I doing a public blog about my life in New York. Perhaps for some of you there are purely egotistical reasons. Some of these exhibitionist reasons are there, but there is a lot more to it.

First of all, I have a blog in Livejournal and I am faithful to that blog. While the events in this blog are based on my real life, the nature of my blog in LJ is more intimate. That one is a blog I use for purely therapeutic reasons, and I don't mean rants alone. The nature of the entries here might be a bit different, part of the reason being that I cannot force anyone to be members of LJ, especially when they don't blog. Besides, I don't want all the readers to know about certain topics, and that is an advantage LJ offers, to chose which fellow LJ ers can know what. Of course, if any of you wants to get in touch with me because you happen to use an LJ, that is fine, especially if you live far away. Otherwise, sometimes I choose a public topic for public LJ entries too.

Anyway... Why the Blogger version of Life and Philosophy in the Urban Landscape?

  1. Exhibitionism aside, I want to expose my life with a purpose. I want to communicate the successes and pitfalls of a person with a learning disability living in a city like New York. I want to touch people who are challenged in certain ways and give them faith, but also give a realistic portrait of my entrance into adult life. I came this far of graduating in a country that did not birth me, making it in communities that did not birth me, and right now, looking for more personal growth. It is a matter of inspiring others, and occasionally even myself.
  2. To communicate with old (and even new) friends IF they want to do so. This is a way of not imposing myself in a way an e-mail would smack as. I have left many friends behind who might want to be in touch with me, and I think a blog can accomplish this kind of communication.
  3. To be able to network with other wordsmiths.
  4. To pave the way for less personal and more intellectual blogs.
Anyway, there are some rules and procedures.
  1. Intimate details are out of the question. This is after all a public space.
  2. The people I talk about are real people, and because of this, I will alter their names. Such alterations can go from the initials of their names, to name changes, to nicknames.
  3. In that tradition of name alterations, don't expect me to reveal secrets of friends, or very intimate details about THEIR lives. If such friends are reading this now, you can rest assured that your secrets will be safe with me.
  4. Like I said before, I compile details in a diary and from these details I will decide what can and cannot come to the blog.
  5. I will mention a lot of places in the New York City area... Because they are awesome or not so awesome, and because they are part of my life.
In addition, apparently this might turn into a weekly affair. It is hard for me to update this blog daily with such a tight schedule like I am having now. Fridays and/or Saturdays might be my designated day.

Stay tuned... If you want.

No comments: